The equipment was donated by Dr Robertson who was an Obstetrician from University Hospital in Hartlepool during the 1950/60’s. The donation consisted of 32 medical objects including various syringes, surgical knives and foetal abortion equipment.
These cystoscopes where at the cutting edge of technology when they were used in the 1950s/60. A cystoscope is an important medical tool used to look inside the bladder by entering the Urethra.
The cystoscope was first developed in 1805 when German surgeon Phillip Bozinni needed a way to find bullets inside his patients whilst serving with the German army. His prototype was revolutionary and involved using a viewing funnel attached to a candle and a light conductor to see inside the human body for the first time.
The second cystoscope held in the collection at Hartlepool. Image courtesy of Cultural Services, Hartlepool Borough Council.