The Loftus Iron Company also built houses for their workers. Each house cost about £100 to build and was rented for 3s 6d per week – about 10-15% of a worker’s average earnings. These houses had no sewage system and waste was allowed to drain freely, collecting in pools in the streets of Skinningrove.
North Terrace was built in the 1870s. These houses were unusual in that, rather than being owned and rented by a company or landlord, the people living here owned their properties which they had bought through buildings societies. A footpath of about half a mile led straight from the Terrace to the Loftus Mine.
Image courtesy of Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, c.1890