The scheme was a great success and was won by West Hartlepool, who reportedly raised the equivalent of a staggering £1300 per head of the population! It is thought that the bombardment of the Hartlepools at the beginning of the war had sparked a particular determination in the people of the town. Egbert arrived in West Hartlepool in 1919 and was placed on Stranton Garth. It was scrapped in 1937.
This pottery Tank Bank money box was bought by a local woman during tank week. Her son had been killed during the Battle of the Somme in 1916.
Image courtesy of Hartlepool Borough Council.