Trolleybuses were introduced in the Tees Valley by the Teesside Railless Traction Board (TRTB). The official opening of the system took place at 11am on Saturday 8 November 1919, with the first bus being driven by the Board’s Chairman. At this time, only single-deckers were allowed on the system. By 1944, double-decker trolleybuses had been introduced, and TRTB no. 5 joined the fleet in 1950. It continued to carry passengers until 1971, when the Teesside trolleybus system stopped operating. No. 5 became the last trolleybus to run on Teesside and is now housed in Kirkleatham Museum.
Watch a film of the last Teesside trolleybuses here:
Image courtesy of Redcar and Cleveland Council Cultural Service