Open accessibilty tools

Ralph Ward Jackson

Ralph Ward Jackson is known as the founder of West Hartlepool. Frustrated by restrictions on business at Old Hartlepool’s Victoria Dock, he established the West Hartlepool Dock Company and opened a new dock in 1847 to the south west of the old town. West Hartlepool was born.

Ralph Ward Jackson (1806–1880) by Francis Grant

Two more docks soon followed, with Jackson Dock opening in 1852 and Swainson Dock in 1856. Along with new rail links to Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds, the new docks transformed West Hartlepool into a thriving town. By 1881 it had a population of 28,000, overshadowing its neighbour Old Hartlepool, whose population was just over 12,000. By 1900 the Hartlepool’s were one of the four busiest ports in the country and West Hartlepool alone had a population of 63,000.

West Hartlepool and Old Hartlepool remained separate towns until they finally merged together under the Hartlepool Order of 1966. Today the modern town centre of Hartlepool is in the former West Hartlepool. Ward Jackson Park is named in memory of modern Hartlepool’s founder.

Image courtesy of Hartlepool Borough Council

More objects from the same theme

Portrait photogrpah of Sir Arthur John Dorman

Arthur Dorman

Gertrude Bell

Political poster for Alice Schofield Coates

Alice Schofield Coates

Portrait of Captain James Cook in uniform

Captain James Cook Explorer

Photographic portrait of Robert Ropner

Robert Ropner

Portrait of Dr Nicholas Patrick, born in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Dr Nicholas Patrick

Full length portrait of Joseph Pease

Joseph Pease

Oval portrait on cream mount

Edward Pease

Christopher Dresser