Compare and contrast
What different games consoles can children think of?
Can they find images of them online?
They can choose one to compare and contrast with the Binatone console.
How are they the same and how are they different?
Think about: how they are powered, how they are controlled, the games you can play, what they look and sound like.
Make a class list to show how video games have changed since they were first made for playing at home.
Video game sounds
Find a simple old video game online. There are some examples in the ‘Links’ section below, like Pong, Pacman, Chuckie Egg and Tetris.
Children can use their voices and instruments to create a particular sound for different elements of play.
- What sound might the Pacman character make as it moves along?
- What sound might a Tetris block make when it lands? Do different shaped blocks make different sounds?
- What sound might they make for ‘Game over’?
- Can children play along ‘live’ to a game video with the sound turned down?
- Click on the ‘Playing in the past’ tab to find old pictures of children playing with toys and games.
- Milestones in the history of gaming: BBC bitesize
- Pong game play video
- Pacman game play video
- Chuckie Egg game play video
- Tetris game play video